Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Fatigue, addiction, school and poetry

Going to bed late is really bad for you, from a day-to-day productiveness point of view. Not only do you look like crap, you don't feel like doing anything, either.

But it keeps happening to so many of us, regularly. It's chronic lack of sleep, and it seems to be slightly addictive. Night after night, I don't feel like going to sleep because...?

In a way, this sleeplessness makes me somewhat drowsy, if not partly unconscious. Similarly to the way I imagine (since I've never experienced them) being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, specifically psychedelics, it renders you more "loose" from a social point of view and sheds light on certain things that might not have occured to you before. Some ideas are much more focused, and it seems like answers to various problems are within reach. But is the mind just playing tricks on itself? Are these ideas truly there, and can they really be of any use to us?

Could this (potentially illusional) state of enlightenment be the reason drugs are so widespread? Could it be a prime cause of some of their addictive properties? Let us extend this theory and say that lack of sleep is addictive. Oh, boy!

Well, I was going to talk about school and how I feel with respect to it, its place in my life, and so on, about an hour ago when I started writing this entry. But now I don't really feel like it. :P

To finish off, I'd like to include an extract of The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, written around the 1800's. A quick Google search for "The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" yields many pertinent results, should you choose to research it further.

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.


Ciao!

No comments: